Kent digital services
There are a number of systems and services available to support you and help you succeed.
Using the Staff Managed Desktop
Kent’s Staff Managed Desktop provides a secure PC environment with a range of corporate and teaching software to get you started.
Remember: you are responsible for all activity on your PC, so lock it when you leave it unattended.
Lecture theatres and seminar rooms have Teaching PCs, which are identical to student PCs. They run Windows 10 with Microsoft Office 2016.
The first time you log-in, you will need to allow five minutes as the PC loads your preferences. It remembers them next time, so future log-ins should be under a minute.
Saving your work
Kent’s staff PCs and laptops are standalone units. You also have space on the Kent network to save work and share files in your team. Files you save to the network are backed-up daily.
You can apply for additional access to folders or resources on the network
Printing at Kent
There are a number of Print Copy Scan machines across Kent’s campuses and centres.
Get connected across Kent
- Set up Eduroam, the Wi-Fi network for all campuses
- Work off campus: Access files and IT services on the Kent network using our Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- IT security: protect your work, devices and privacy, plus what to do if you suspect you have a virus
- Free and discounted software to help you work your way.
Communicating with colleagues
- Email: how to access your Kent emails and set up your phone or tablet
- Mailing lists: see what Kent mailing lists you are on, and how to subscribe or unsubscribe
- Video conferencing at Canterbury, Medway, Brussels, or from your desk
- Skype for Business: live chat, video call or have a virtual meeting with Kent colleagues and external contacts
- SharePoint: share documents, tasks and ideas within your team or colleagues across Kent.
IT equipment and departmental support
Support and training
- Productivity tools and assistive technology
- Access for all: Library and IT services for people with disabilities
- IT training: boost your skills in software, IT security and more
- Web authors: resources and support for you
- Service request forms for IT services.
Your IT account
Your Kent IT account gives you access to services such as email, the Kent network, staff PCs and printers, software, campus Wi-Fi, Library online resources and more.
- How to get and activate your IT account
- How to request an IT account for a new member of staff
- Services available with your account
- What happens to your account when you leave Kent.
IT Service Desk
The IT Service Desk can help you with any IT related enquiries.
It is open 08.00-17.30 Monday-Friday:
Commercial Services staff
In addition to the above, Commercial Services staff have their own departmental IT support who should be contacted in the first instance.
Email or phone Commercial Services IT on ext 3755.